HOW KAATSU WORKS
KAATSU Air Bands apply moderate compression in short durations on the upper arms and upper legs. The pneumatic bands are controlled by the KAATSU units to serve the opposite function of blood pressure cuffs or tourniquets (i.e., KAATSU temporarily keeps an incremental amount of blood in the limbs – not out of the limbs with a tourniquet).
This temporary and rhythmic compression leads to the safe engorgement of the limbs with blood that subsequently causes a cascade of natural and beneficial physiological reactions in the body.
Click the video to see how KAATSU works.
BLOOD FLOW MODERATION
KAATSU safely reduces venous flow, leading blood to pool in your limbs longer than normal.
During KAATSU capillaries lengthen and expand to help improve circulation and vascular elasticity
NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCTION
KAATSU leads to production of VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) and nitric oxide in the body.
Nitric oxide allows blood vessels to constrict and relax, and also regulates the inflammatory cells in the blood vessel walls.
GROWTH HORMONE RELEASE
Lactic acid builds up in the muscle causing the pituitary gland to secrete growth hormone
During and after Kaatsu Growth Hormone is secreted in large amounts activating the body’s metabolism.
Recent scientific research shows results of 280% more release than the normal training.
When KAATSU Bands are applied correctly (proper position and pressure), arterial in-flow is restricted, deep venous out-flow is impeded, and the capillary-venous space becomes distended and congested in the muscle distal to the KAATSU Bands.
Muscle contraction under these conditions of restricted and impeded blood flow and congested vascular space, uses up intracellular phosphates energy stores and oxygen at a rate greater than the circulation can replenish them.
Metabolic waste products accumulate. Homeostasis in the active muscle is lost.
Consequently, as the tissue becomes more hypoxic and energy stores depleted, anaerobic glycolysis attempts to compensate by increasing its rate, which produces some ATP, but also produces a marked disturbance in muscle homeostasis, ultimately raising intracellular, interstitial and blood lactic acid concentrations.
Hypoxia, acidosis, lactate ion per se, inorganic phosphate, AMP and many other local factors have been shown to turn on transcription and thus, protein synthesis in muscle cells. This is the so-called “local effect” of KAATSU that results in stimulation of muscle, tendon and vascular growth.
KAATSU BAND DESIGN
⚠️KAATSU IS BLOOD FLOW MODERATION TRAINING AND DOES NOT RESTRICT THE BLOOD FLOW.
KAATSU Band Design
KAATSU the Original Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) is generically described by Japanese physicians as Blood Flow Modification due to a variety of factors including the specific design and engineering of the KAATSU Air Bands.
After 35 years of Research Kaatsu is the World Leader in Blood Flow Restriction Training and is the Only Original BFR device on the market that is following Dr. Sato’s 35 years Research for Safety.
- Stretchable Material for BFR
The Bands are designed to reduce venous flow (blood flow back to the torso).The Bands do not occlude arterial flow (blood flow to the limbs). This is very different from blood pressure cuffs that are specifically designed to occlude (cut off) blood flow to the limbs.
- Patented BFR Width
The Width of the Bands is also much different than a blood pressure cuff (i.e., it avoids arterial flow occlusion). The Bands very importantly allows for ease of movement of the limbs (for walking, running, cycling, calisthenics, physical therapy, swimming, throwing, pulling, pushing or any specific movements required in sports or fitness).
- Unique BFR Function
The Bands include baffles and a stretchable air bladder that inflates uniformly and towards the limb, precisely controlled by the KAATSU monitoring units (e.g., KAATSU Master 2.0, KAATSU Nano, KAATSU Wearables).
- Maximum BFR Safety
The Bands can be immediately deflated by either pushing buttons on the monitoring units, depressing the value on the connectors, or releasing the Velcro on the Bands.
- Safe For All Ages
The Bands and the Devices are specifically designed and engineered to follow the 35 year research of Dr. Sato and the Japanese team.
Users of all ages can use it with maximum safety. The Patented Width, the Stretchable Material, 35 years of Research and the unique BFR function make it the safest BFR bands on the market without any risk of Occlusion (stop the blood flow).
Safety Has Always Been First and Foremost
- There is good reason why KAATSU The Original BFR has been around for decades and is currently distributed in 49 countries: KAATSU is safe.
- While other BFR companies stress muscle building and utilize all types and sizes of tourniquets and modified blood pressure cuffs on people with bulging muscles and youthful, fit bodies, KAATSU took a much different approach. As the pioneer of the BFR market, KAATSU had to clearly demonstrate safety above all – well before other BFR companies and products were sold online.
- KAATSU spent 10 years behind closed doors (at the University of Tokyo Hospital) testing its original Blood Flow Restriction equipment and protocols with over 7,000 older cardiac rehab patients.
- These patients were mostly over 50 years old – some as old as 104. They all had cardiac problems that needed to be addressed by the cardiologists at the University of Tokyo Hospital. Between 2004 and 2014, KAATSU spent its time, energy and budget on perfecting its protocols for older, more sedentary, weaker individuals – not the young and fit, not the muscular and active.
- There was no overt marketing, ubiquitous social media campaigns, or slick websites. The KAATSU doctors simply conducted painstakingly detailed research and testing using ultrasound, MRI, and blood sampling and analyses on thousands of patients by medical doctors and PhD’s.
- Led by KAATSU inventor Dr. Yoshiaki Sato, cardiologist Dr. Toshiaki Nakajima, cardiologist Dr. Toshihiro Morita and their colleagues, KAATSU tested and fine-tuned their equipment and protocols. Ultimately, KAATSU and its original Blood Flow Restriction modalities and pressures were proven safe and effective – and convenient – for cardiac rehab patients.
- After that decade-long testing was completed, the protocols and KAATSU Air Band pressures were standardized across the board so the proven protocols could be used at home, at work and during travel.
- KAATSU equipment requires strict adherence to these easy-to-follow protocols that were developed with safety for all in mind.
Here is a guide to all of KAATSU’s Published Research.